Affordable Housing and How to Register Your Household in Wiltshire and Swindon

by | Jan 28, 2021 | Housing News

Why is affordable housing needed in Wiltshire and Swindon?

House prices in many areas of Wiltshire and Swindon mean that people on low or modest incomes face difficulties finding decent, secure, affordable accommodation. Housing costs create barriers for certain groups, for example young people, who are forced to move away from the area to find a home. This upsets the balance of the communities and can damage local services and take-up. In some areas this can result in closure of schools, shops and pubs, and businesses may struggle to find local employees, as a result of housing being unaffordable to many from the area.

What is affordable housing and the housing register?

Affordable housing can provide homes for people with modest incomes who can’t afford accommodation on the open market.  Affordable homes help to sustain communities by offering local people the chance to remain where they have strong connections for example in the town or village where they grew up, or where they work.

Affordable housing can include low cost accommodation for rent, or shared ownership homes, allocated on the basis of need. Households wishing to be considered for affordable housing need to apply to join their Local Authority’s housing register. In Wiltshire the housing register is called Homes4Wiltshire and in Swindon the housing register is called Home Bid.

Who can join the housing register?

A housing applicant qualifies to join the housing register if they have less than £16,000 capital/savings and the household income is less than £80,000 per annum. There is also a requirement for the household to meet local connection criteria set by their Local Authority.

For those areas Homes of Our support, a summary of eligibility criteria is detailed below.

For Wiltshire

In Wiltshire you are eligible if you are:·

  • Living in Wiltshire Council’s area and has resided here for minimum last 2 years+, or
  • Employed in Wiltshire Council’s area, or a job offer where contract for 12 months+, or
  • Self-employed in Wiltshire Council’s area, or
  • Closely related to a person who is living in Wiltshire Council’s area and has resided in the area for 5 years+.

There are also provisions for serving members and veterans of the Armed Forces, as well as their spouses/civil partners.

Full details of qualifying criteria are available on the Homes4Wiltshire Website:

For Swindon

In Swindon you are eligible if you are:

  • Over 18 and have lived in the borough for the last two years.

You can also apply if any of the following apply to you:

  • You have close relatives (parents, adult children, grandparents or siblings) who have lived here for two years or more;
  • You are employed in Swindon for more than 24 hours a week;
  • You are a member of the Armed Forces or have served in the last five years.

Full details of qualifying criteria are available on the Swindon Borough Council Website:

How do I join my Local Authority’s housing register?

You will need to fill out an application form online and you will also need to provide documentation to support you application such as ID, Proof of residency in Wiltshire or an employment contract/payslips if your local connection is via employment.

Where can I find further information?

To apply to join the Homes4Wiltshire register you will need to visit the following website to register and to join the Swindon Home Bid register you will need to visit

Get the latest news and updates from Homes of Our Own

When you subscribe to our newsletter you'll get the latest news from Homes of Our Own and Community Led Housing in Wiltshire and Swindon. We won't share your email address with anyone else and you can unsubscribe at any time. For more information about how we use your personal data, please see our Privacy Policy